Friday 29 April 2011

Imaad Shah unhappy with Bollywood 'formula' films :


Imaad Shah unhappy with Bollywood 'formula' films

If Naseeruddin Shah feels he doesn’t “see great movies emerging” from Bollywood, son Imaad, too, isn’t very impressed.  According to him, our films “could be better in terms of quality and storytelling.” He adds: “In fact, we should be particular about our films because they are constantly in the global eye. And since our movie culture is more than 50 years old, we should come out with brilliant cinema. But we’ve largely been stuck with formula-driven films,” he says.

Although Imaad made his debut in 2006 with his father’s Yun Hota To Kya Hota, he has been very choosy about his projects, with just two more films (Dil Dosti Etc. and Little Zizou) in his filmography. Ask him if the quality of films deterred him from taking up offers and he shoots back, “Of course, they have. Thanks to my family’s name, I feel I’ve a responsibility, which is a challenge I enjoy. And since I have high standards to live up to, I have to do well in whatever I take up,” he says.

Imaad also admits that he has consciously kept a low profile while turning down several offers, many from big production houses. “I’m a very private person. Generally, I want to keep my privacy intact,” says the actor-musician, adding that he wants to package his career in a stylish and charismatic way. “That’s probably why I’ve been very picky about my films.”

But unlike his father, Imaad is hopeful about producers’ attitudes finally changing. “Even they realise that a standard formula no longer works, with films worth crores falling flat in empty theatres. And I think it’s largely happening due to the influx of young creative minds including filmmakers and music directors,” he says.

These days, what has Imaad all excited is his debut as a music director in Prawal Raman’s 404, in which he has also played an erratic genius in a cameo performance. “In terms of Bollywood music, songs from the past couple of decades have been very repetitive. But now, we are fusing different kind of sounds with Hindi film music,” he says.

An excited Imaad further informs that the lyrics of 404 have dirty and real Hindi lyrics. “There are a lot of phrases and lines, which we hear everyday,” he says, adding that members from his band The Pulp Society have also collaborated with him. Imaad is now getting ready to travel to Patna, Bengaluru, Delhi and Chennai with his father’s theatre group, Motley, besides readying for a few performances next month with his band.

No comments:

Post a Comment